Monday, February 16, 2009

Can Wine be beneficial to Your Health?

By Christian Goodman

I recently had dinner with some good friends and noticed that "Jane" was drinking red wine. At first I thought it was a joke, as Jane had more than once complained that she did not like the taste of red wine and in fact, preferred white wine.

Jane told me that she'd recently read that drinking red wine is beneficial to one's health, specifically, the heart.

I was not surprised by this information. I've known for years that there has been proven health benefits to drinking red wine in moderation. This means one glass per day for women and two for men.

I've read studies dealing specifically with Mediterranean countries. The studies' participants all had high fat diets but low LDL (bad) cholesteral and high HDL (good) cholesteral. They also reported lowered blood pressure. Researchers found that what each participant had in common was the fact that they all drank red wine in moderation.

It is thought that resveratrol and flavonoids, two antioxidants found in the seeds and skin of the red wine grape (also included in fermentation, unlike white wine) are responsible for these health benefits.

Resveratrol is thought to be responsible for raising HDL cholesterol, and this in turn helps prevent blood clots. Flavonoids also help prevent blood clots but also help to prevent plaque from forming in the arteries.

New studies, however, including both white wine and other types of alcohol, have shown similar results. One study even suggested the benefits of white wine to red, because the molecules in white wine are smaller than in red and can be more easily absorbed in the body.

Yes, yes - we always want to hear that traditionally bad habits are now good for us and that is why we secretly kept at them even though our doctors warned us of the dangers of abuse. I for one, though, can't stress enough about moderation in drinking.

Yes, there is plenty of evidence to suggest health benefits of drinking in moderation; however, EVERY article promoting this evidence stressed that drinking alcohol to excess caused health problems which far outweighed any heart benefits the wine might have.

Alcohol abuse leads to addition, weight gain (including obesity), high blood pressure and damages major organs (including your heart). If you don't drink, there are better ways to lower blood pressure. If you drink in moderation - great, stick to that.

If weight loss or lowered blood pressure is your goal, I recommend two products: My Weight Loss Breeze program and my High Blood Pressure program. They have produced phenomenal results for my clients without negative side effects.

EL331002

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment