Sunday, February 15, 2009

Seaside Crafts at Louisiana

By Myke Oswald

It is quite a normal thing to love the sea. When I was a child, up to my early twenties, the best memories I had were always something that was near water. I assumed it was natural for someone who had relatives with a fishing business, but on second thought, I also know some other people in similar situations who'd disagree.

It's no real surprise to my friends when I decided to use the sea as the theme for my handcrafted items. I mainly used found objects on the beach, like shells, bits of coral and driftwood that washed up on the shore or even the occasional dried starfish. I used them to create or decorate household accessories. Picture frames, kitchen magnets or a food tray.

Sometimes, however, I get lucky enough and find a pearl or two. I also buy them when I have the chance, and I use it to make some more elaborate jewelry. I then show these things off to my friends, who are rightly envious of them. They wanted me to make some for them, too.

So then I figured, what if I sell these crafts to more people? I went online and quickly browsed some sites about craft shows in Louisiana. In only a few days, I was hooked, crafting jewelry, sculptures and household paraphernalia that were infused with a sea theme.

In a matter of months, I had a lot of crafts. Now all I needed was to sell some of them in one of these craft shows. Deciding to start on the ones near my area, I called them up to ask about how they ran things.

And that's how I got started. That's how I started selling my pieces at craft shows. My special bond with the sea really helps me make my crafts unique and special, as the spirit of the sea is infused within the items.

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment