When would you use glazing? Well, sometimes personally, I have found that I am not satisfied with the look of a painting as sections of it seem quite drab, with the colors not penetrating through. Then I resort to glazing.
It could be that I did not make a good job of it which has disappointed me. However it could just be that I have overdone how much turpentine I have used. So I have had a bad day. We all experience these at some time or another. One of life's trials.
Generally glazing can be a godsend. It can be used in many ways. Personally, I could not do without it. I find that it brings my work to life as it were. It is an important step of the artwork that was invented years ago.
So you need to bring your painting to life. Do not underestimate the value this process can give to your work. This can provide the ultimate glow you require for landscapes, skies, water, trees, mountains etc. You will find it brings out hidden depths. It will also serve on certain sections or just bring your whole piece together to it's conclusion.
What actually happens, is that you cover it with a very fine film of color over another, but please be sure to let the first coat be perfectly dry. I liken it to glass actually as really it is like the sun peeping through on your work. You may then come to realize you can bring coldness or heat to your work.
Always make sure that the color you put on the top is a transparent shade and I would expect that you could encounter trouble with the colors mixing together if you have not ensured your undercoat was not still wet.
You will have come to realize now that this is a very important step of your work. It can bring about the feeling of distance and space, but also adds strength and purpose to your work. I love using it as it seems to successfully bring my work to a happy conclusion.
At first you may find it hard to achieve great results. It is a learning curve through trial and tribulation. Basically what you will find is, what and where do I do this? Only by trying colours will you find out.
Let's get experimenting! You need to find your colors to inspire you. What you should now do is try a stronger shade over a paler one. So how about trying a dark green over a very pale yellow and just look at the effect you get. Purple over yellow is pretty good.
One thing you must surely remember is that when you do this, is that the colour that you are going to glaze with is not mixed with white. It must be retained totally pure as it were. I tend to rub it on pretty thinly, using oil as a medium.
If you are looking for strong, vibrant effects, get out your palette. Try putting, for example, a very strong red on top of a much weaker shade and see what prevails. You can have so much to work with to great effect. Then you could round it off with a layer of gel. Some people just prefer this.
It could be that I did not make a good job of it which has disappointed me. However it could just be that I have overdone how much turpentine I have used. So I have had a bad day. We all experience these at some time or another. One of life's trials.
Generally glazing can be a godsend. It can be used in many ways. Personally, I could not do without it. I find that it brings my work to life as it were. It is an important step of the artwork that was invented years ago.
So you need to bring your painting to life. Do not underestimate the value this process can give to your work. This can provide the ultimate glow you require for landscapes, skies, water, trees, mountains etc. You will find it brings out hidden depths. It will also serve on certain sections or just bring your whole piece together to it's conclusion.
What actually happens, is that you cover it with a very fine film of color over another, but please be sure to let the first coat be perfectly dry. I liken it to glass actually as really it is like the sun peeping through on your work. You may then come to realize you can bring coldness or heat to your work.
Always make sure that the color you put on the top is a transparent shade and I would expect that you could encounter trouble with the colors mixing together if you have not ensured your undercoat was not still wet.
You will have come to realize now that this is a very important step of your work. It can bring about the feeling of distance and space, but also adds strength and purpose to your work. I love using it as it seems to successfully bring my work to a happy conclusion.
At first you may find it hard to achieve great results. It is a learning curve through trial and tribulation. Basically what you will find is, what and where do I do this? Only by trying colours will you find out.
Let's get experimenting! You need to find your colors to inspire you. What you should now do is try a stronger shade over a paler one. So how about trying a dark green over a very pale yellow and just look at the effect you get. Purple over yellow is pretty good.
One thing you must surely remember is that when you do this, is that the colour that you are going to glaze with is not mixed with white. It must be retained totally pure as it were. I tend to rub it on pretty thinly, using oil as a medium.
If you are looking for strong, vibrant effects, get out your palette. Try putting, for example, a very strong red on top of a much weaker shade and see what prevails. You can have so much to work with to great effect. Then you could round it off with a layer of gel. Some people just prefer this.
About the Author:
Anna Meenaghan is a contemporary artist that has been involved in the modern arts most of her life. As a contemporary painter she is well positioned to give help on most art subjects and enjoys passing on her knowledge in the form of tips to all art newbies and art enthusiasts. I have greatly benefited from her help. Comment by Michael Bruckner.
No comments:
Post a Comment