Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Adult Dating Websites - An Historically Significant Event Maybe?

By Jayde Johanssen

Why do people use Adult Dating sites? There are so many of them that they must be popular. If you browse through one, you'll see they have millions and millions of members. The masses of people attracted to adult dating sites so massively outnumber regular dating sites, they make the regulars look like minority groups in a sexually focused world.

But the behaviour at adult dating sites don't reflect the day to day behaviour of people in society. People typically don't go straight to sexual relations. They date, get to know the person, and it progresses from there. So why are these sites so popular?

Obviously the internet gives us an element on anonymity. Does this anonymity though, change us? Does it give us the courage to be more honest about what we want and what we ask for. Its possible I guess. The pain of rejection at such a website barely exists. Rejection in the form of a nasty email or no email, is much easier to take than rejection in the form of a slapped cheek or thrown drink.

I wonder if this new honesty, which we find on adult dating sites, will spill over into society. Will people gradually become more direct and courageous in public, when searching for a "bedmate"? Or will this be courage forever require the protection of an internet profile.

I wonder if this will impact current dating and flirting behaviours. Will we become so desensitised to rejection that flirting and "getting to know" someone first, is replaced by a system of direct questions and answers? Will good manners themselves become redundant?

Or will it go the other way? Will we lose our social skills, only being forthright when we have the cover of an "internet alias" or the like.

These questions while interesting, I'll leave for the social historians to answer. I have many too many people to contact today. I've just joined a new site and there are millions of people I haven't met yet.

About the Author:

No comments:

Post a Comment